The 2012 Coda Electric is, if nothing else, a basic electric car. The first thing I thought when I laid eyes on the Coda was that this is one of the few all-electrics that really doesn’t look like an all electric. To me, it looks like a smaller version of a 2004 Nissan Altima. But, hey, that’s just me.
Coda is an electric car manufacturer located in California. It boasts that about 65% of its parts are manufacturered in America. The other 35% (primarily the chassis and body) are manufacturered in China – according to company specifications – sent to the American mainland and assembled, and completed in California. I suppose the 2012 Coda is just about as American as any other car out there today.
The battery power-plant in the Coda is a Lithium-Iron-Phosphate battery that is situated underneath the seats, and is actually built in, or integrated, into the chassis of the vehicle itself. The company boasts a 150-mile trip between charges, and estimates that a full charge for that 150-mile trip will cost about $3. The MPG Equivalent then, would run North of 120 MPG. Not bad at all. By the way, the 150-mile trip estimate is almost twice that of the Nissan Leaf. We shall see.
As far as safety is concerned, the Coda comes out with six strategically designed airbags for your safety.
The base price for the 2012 Coda is estimated at about $44,900. Subtract the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit and you’re in the $37,000 range. Please read here for more specifics on the Federal Plug-in Electric Car Tax Credit. We think it will help.
While not a ’69 Camaro in terms of speed, it does OK. Figure about a 0-10 MPH at about 10 seconds. Add in a top speed of 85 mph, and you’ve got yourself a decent little one-speed electric car.